FEBRUARY 28 - APRIL 8
"If those who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from
their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their nation"
|We, the church of Jesus Christ cannot afford to sit idly by and allow this nation's moral torch to
burn out. There is too much at stake, and there are too many souls at risk!
The pessimist says, "We don't have a prayer." The truth is prayer is what we do have! And prayer
is what we need! The United States needs fervent, focused, corporate prayer coupled with fasting
to experience a spiritual awakening!
Join with dozens of denominations, hundreds of parachurch groups and prayer ministries and thousands of churches to mobilize millions of Christians to Pray America Back To God
- In October of 1995, as millions of Christians worldwide were praying for the 65 mostly Muslim nations of the 10/40 Window, Eddie Smith was watching Muslim leader Louis Farrakhan on television attempting to get one million American men to meet him in Washington, DC for his ''Million Man March.'' It grieved him to think that our nation was a target for Muslim interests.
- The next morning he received an email letter from Jack Dennison of DAWN ministries in Colorado Springs. In his letter, Jack asked Eddie if he would mobilize a time of extended prayer and fasting for revival and spiritual awakening in the United States as we were seeing done for the 10/40 Window nations.
- Later that morning Eddie received a phone call from an intercessor in Chicago, Illinois. She asked, ''Eddie, has anyone ever considered mobilizing prayer for our nation as we are seeing mobilized for the 10/40 Window nations?''
- Eddie discovered that several denominations had attempted such initiatives but none had done so outside their own group. He called the Christian Information Network's 10/40 Window Coordinator, Beverly Pegues, to ask what she thought. She said, ''I've been praying for several years now that someone would do just that!''
- Eddie wrote a proposal letter to 50 national Christian leaders. He received unanimous encouragement to proceed with the project. So, in the Spring of 1996, Eddie invited 50 national prayer leaders to meet him at O'Hare Airport in Chicago for a preliminary planning meeting. Thirty-five accepted the invitation and came to Chicago at their own expense. The group spent the day praying and planning the first PrayUSA! in April, 1997 leading up to the National Day of Prayer.
- At the end of the day the group commissioned Eddie and Alice Smith to coordinate PrayUSA! and provide the leadership needed to see the vision accomplished. Many U.S. prayer leaders gave their support and assistance.
- In the Fall of 1996 Eddie and Alice invited their friends and acquaintances in Houston to a kick-off banquet. More than 700 attended! An offering was received which was the initial budget of the first PrayUSA!
- In April, 1997 dozens of denominations, hundreds of parachurch ministries, and thousands of churches mobilized millions of Christians worldwide to fast and pray through a 40-day calendar for revival and spiritual awakening in the United States! It was proclaimed the largest fasting and prayer initiative in American history.
- Later that year, Dr. Bill Bright (Campus Crusade for Christ, Int'l) offered his and Pat Robertson's (Christian Broadcasting Network) help with PrayUSA! `98. The only stipulation was that rather than the 30 days of April, that it be a 40-day prayer and fasting initiative.
- With Bill and Vonette Bright and Pat Robertson as National Honorary Co-chairs, PrayUSA! `98 was an overwhelming success. There were 55 national media hits including a front-page article on the New York Times!
- Again in 1999, PrayUSA! called millions to prayer and fasting for revival.
- At the end of the 1999 initiative Eddie received a call from Dr. Ben Jennings, International Prayer Coordinator for Campus Crusade for Christ. ''Eddie, would you consider allowing us to help you take PrayUSA! global in the Spring of 2000?'' he asked.
It was an answer to prayer.
Dr. Jennings, Eddie and Alice Smith, Steve Hawthorne, and other national and world prayer leaders worked with World Evangelism Fellowship, the World Prayer Center, and many other international ministries to mobilize a 40-day national prayer and fasting intiative in every nation, March 8-April 16, 2000 in an initiative called PrayWORLD 2000!
- As Eddie Smith has said, ''We must enter the 21st Century on our knees!''
Copyright© 2000, U.S. PRAYER CENTER